Thursday 19 April 2012

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas? Yes.


So this blog post is going to be boring because I'm pressed for time and I don't have any pictures and I'm too busy listening to Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" on repeat (why, yes, I am months behind the rest of the world, apparently)!

I've seen sour cream enchilada recipes floating around lately but they all require ingredients that I just cannot find here in Pembrokeshire - canned green chiles and various American sauces and such. So I had to go ahead and forge my own recipe and uh, not to toot my own horn but these are awesome *toot toot*

My biggest hang up were the chiles. The UK doesn't lack in chile availability but they're so freaking SPICY. Canned chiles are not the same as fresh/jarred jalapenos, no sir. So I had to figure out how to get that distinct canned green chile flavor using local ingredients.

I went to Lidl (pretty much the same thing as Aldi) and found giant red sweet peppers. Since they were only like 50p for two of them, I decided to give 'em a shot. They were perfect!

Not only are these enchiladas really delicious, I believe they also give you super powers - such as bravery. Why? Because last night there was a spider by my washing machine and I actually exterminated it MYSELF. That's so unlike me. I did scream a little bit but still.

Enjoy!

8 flour tortillas
2 cups of shredded, skinless chicken thighs - you could totally use breasts but thighs are king because they are delicious and CHEAP
2 red sweet peppers - roasted, skinned, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
1 bunch of chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons low fat buttery spread - Yes, you can use butter but I didn't have that plus I totes wanted to keep this dish low fat (hahahahahaha...)
2 cups chicken broth - I used the ol' hot water bouillon cube method.
1 cup sour cream
Chile powder to taste

1.   Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C
2.   Spray 9x12 baking dish with oil
3.   Mix chicken, 1 cup of the cheese and half of the cilantro in a bowl 
4.   Melt fake butter in pot then add the three tablespoons of flour mix and continue cooking for about a minute or so
5.   Add the broth to the butter/flour mixture and whisk REALLY WELL. Lumps are NOT your friend. 
6.   When the sauce is thick, whisk in the sour cream, the remaining cilantro and all of the peppers. 
7.   Pour a little bit of the sauce in the bottom of the baking dish
8.   Evenly distribute the chicken mixture amongst the tortillas then roll 'em up and line 'em up in the baking dish
9.   Pour all remaining sauce over the rolled up tortillas
10. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top
11. Sprinkle chile powder all over the top - as much or as little as you want. I used quite a bit.
12. Bake for about 20 minutes until bubbly, golden, and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment