Thursday 19 April 2012

Mexican Style Shrimp Cocktail

Mexican Style Shrimp Cocktail

So back home in Tulsa, there is a Mexican restaurant called El Tequila. I LOVED El Tequila. If ever you're in the area, you MUST try the sopa de pollo, the burrito Cancun (a giant burrito BURSTING with grilled shrimp, onions, and peppers then topped with queso...dear God...) and the shrimp cocktail.

In case you couldn't tell - I. LOVE. SHRIMP. I could eat them all day, every day. That said...

I've been craving the El Tequila shrimp cocktail pretty hardcore for a while now so I tried to replicate it for dinner tonight and I must say, I came REALLY close! The only difference between the original and mine is that mine has some kick from the chili powder. This dish is great!

I paired it up with a mixed green salad - so simple and summery. It may be cold and wet outside but at least in my mouth it's summer!

Enjoy :)
Close Up!

Mexican Style Shrimp Cocktail

Ingredients:

14 ounces shrimp - cooked, peeled, and deveined
1/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
generous handful cilantro - chopped
1/2 red onion - diced
2 medium tomatoes - chopped
1 avocado - chopped


1. In a medium bowl whisk together the ketchup, water, honey, garlic powder, lemon/lime juice, and chili powder
2. Add cilantro, red onion, tomatoes and shrimp - mix well
3. Chill for an hour or so to allow the flavors to sink into the shrimp
4. Right before serving, mix in the chopped avocado. Serve over cold rice, noodles or salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment